[pct-l] 2011 Snowpack

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Dec 20 15:50:25 CST 2010

Good afternoon, all,

I see that California Department of Water Resources, Data Exchange Center
(CDEC) http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/products/  has begun to populate
the 2011 variant of the California Snow Water Charts
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/products/PLOT_SWC.2011.pdf , even though
they haven’t yet changed the chart title to reflect the year.  There are
many different California snow charts available for reference and
prognostication but I prefer this one as being the best illustration of what
we may expect for the upcoming year’s hiking compared to other years.

For the entire West, including California, I like the charts available
through U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Natural Resources Service (NRCS)  at:
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/westsnow.pl  Often contributors to PCT-L
refer to other years as being a high snow year – or low – and these charts
are a great way to compare those years’ snowpack with what is shaping up
during this year.

“Snow is not neutral.”  - Soviet Union Frunze Military Academy Maxim

 Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09