[pct-l] Fitness

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 21:49:59 CST 2010

Dear PCT,

It is true that "specificity of exercise" exists regarding performance in a
sport.  To train for your sport you need to do your sport.  However, hiking
long distances for long hours of the day is impractical for most people who
have jobs and responsibilities.  It is entirely possible to simulate the
conditions of your sport to train in a practical way.  To train for
backpacking over mountains and passes I hold two 15 lb. dumb bells on my
shoulders (backpack) and do forward lunges, backward lunges, deep squats,
step ups on a 14" stool to music for about 1 to 1.5 hours in my living
room.  Do this a couple of times a week during the winter and rainy seasons
and you will be in shape for the trail, my friend.

There is one flaw in this work out.  It doesn't train your leg calves or
gastrocnemius sufficiently for back packing.  So in addition to the above
workout you will need to run at least once a week, or about 8-10 miles.  You
don't need weights as a run "powers up" the load factors on the muscle.
These 2 work outs still keep me in shape for the trail in the summer so I
can still enjoy cycling, swimming and other activities.  I also work a 40
hour job so I don't have a lot of time.

After I gave birth and had to care for 5 small children over 12 years (I've
had 6, one was still borne), I was very limited in the exercise I could do.
I couldn't just leave my children alone to go run so I exercised exclusively
in my living room for several years with my kids around me. (Husband, now ex
refused to babysit)  When I was finally able to get on a hike, this one
exercise enabled me to climb Mt. Whitney and back in one day.  My calves
were killing me but nothing else.  Well, my kids were a little bit older so
I could have the older one babysit while I went for a run once a week and
that solved my problem.  With this combination I was able to do a 100 mile
out and back from King's Canyon, over Forester, up the back side of Whitney
and back again in 5 days.  To do 20 miles a day on the JMT or PCT takes a
little more dedication to the sport than that of course so amp up your
training even more.  But the above 2 workouts really keeps you fit in
between the rain, snow and responsibilities of life.

Melanie
Kinesiology UCLA '84