[pct-l] Winter backpacking: any good books?

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Dec 21 16:33:09 CST 2010

Goodness,

Yes, the Freedom of the Hills is a good resource, to be sure, but don't be
so confident to assume that knowledge will suffice when you suddenly have to
draw upon the vague memory of something read, then try to translate that to
action out in the field.

"What you hear, you forget; What you see, you remember; What you do, you
understand" has long been a motto of our's regarding skills instruction.
Find a place, a school, a friend, somewhere where you can practice
snow-hiking and camping. I don't know where you live, but usually community
colleges or local outfitters (REI) will offer such courses. Learn from
others while you're still in your thru-hike planning stage. Find out what
you can do and can't do too well. Know your weaknesses and strengths.
Discover what you want to get out of a thru hike, even while doing pre-trip
test hikes and camp-outs in the backyard in the worst of weather. Do at
least one multi-week hike, preferably with a resupply, to find out what that
takes. Research via trailjournals and such what others had to deal with when
the difficult stuff hit.

A thru hike is a landmark moment in your life and many hikers come away from
theirs changed - and addicted!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education