[pct-l] Food prep problem. Help!

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Dec 25 13:39:56 CST 2010

Good morning, Kevin,

When I make jerky I usually use low-fat hamburger.  The meat is less
expensive, it’s much less time consuming to prepare, it results in a mostly
uniform-sized product, it is easy to bite and chew, and it is easily
crumbled into my evening glop if I happen to be eating hot food.

Ground beef, 10% fat, raw    1 lb.

Worcestershire sauce:           ¼ cup

Soy sauce:                                ¼ cup

Salt:                                           ¾ tsp.

Onion powder:                        ½ tsp.

Garlic powder:                        ½ tsp.

Chili powder:                          ¾ tsp.

Mix all the stuff together well and let the meat soak overnight.  Do not
drain off the juice, leave it with the meat.  The mix is moderately wet, but
not loose.  I use a full ¼ cup measure of mix for each piece. The wet
patties are difficult to handle.  I dump the measured amount onto a piece of
waxed paper, and flatten it with my hand.  Next, I pick up the paper, flip
the patty onto the dryer shelf, and peel off the paper.  The shape of the
patties is not important except when dry I like them to be reasonably
uniform and fit in a snack size Ziploc bag.  A consistent thickness will dry
more uniformly, and patties of the same shape will pack more efficiently.
7-8 rectangular patties will fit on a dryer shelf. Dry at maximum heat
setting until the meat is as dry as possible. Drying time is apx.12 hours.

*Note:* 6 oz. of fresh meat  =  2.66 oz. of jerky = 3.5 pieces

            8 oz. of fresh meat  =  3.55 oz. of jerky = 4.6 pieces

            9.2 pieces per pound of fresh meat

            1 piece  =  113 Calories

I found this link for jerky recipes, but I haven’t tried any of them.

http://www.bowhunting.net/susieq/jerky.htm

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09