[pct-l] Food prep problem. Help!

Mark Hudson mhudson89521 at att.net
Sat Dec 25 16:24:01 CST 2010

I do jerky 15 lbs at a time and do a lot of it.  I smoke all mine, but
cant imagine that using a dehydrator is that much different (perhaps
slower as you can use lower temps than I can).

I have done beef, chicken, and a few fish pieces.  I strongly suggest
you give the commercial cures a shot.  If you get a high mountain cure
its about 6 dollars I think and it will make 15 lbs.

My personal favorite is the garlic pepper one.  I have tried them all
more or less.

I like the spicier ones on chicken breast and the more bbq or pepper
ones on beef.

I usually use an eye roast from costco or just the frozen chicken breast
when I do chicken.  I cut my slices lay them out flat in a tub, and
sprinkle on the cure.  I turn them over and repeat.  I then use ziploc
gallon bags to hold the meat while they cure.

I leave them in the cure for 48 hours minimum each time.

I just want to at least expose you to the fact that dehydrating meats
with no cure is a potentially dangerous situation.  yes I know tons of
people who have done it and not had an issue, but if you read your
instructions with your dehydrator, there is a reason they say to cook
the meat to 160 before drying it.

Use of the commercial cures eliminated this risk, and frankly I think
taste as good or better.

I know this causes endless debate on the smoking and BBQ forums, I just
thought you should hear both sides.  I make all my own sausage as well
and I cure it all that I smoke (cook slow).