[pct-l] After Action Report - Glen Dawson Visit

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 25 20:11:37 CST 2010

Hey Switchback,

I also enjoyed reading your post about your visit with Glen Dawson.  In your
last  post you mentioned that Dawson knew Ansel  Adams. That brought back
memories. While serving in the U.S. Army in 1959 I was stationed at Fort Ord on
the Monterey Peninsula and living off-post with my wife in Carmel Village. One
day I was photographing the sea from the golf course. A lady, who noticed that I
was using a view camera, walked up to chat. When she said " you will have to
meet Ansel" I was delighted. We had a great visit at the Adams home. We became
friends and were invited to his home several times. He had an incredible
darkroom.Through Ansel we met several other photographers who lived on the
peninsula. We last visited Ansel in 1963 before we left for Europe. That was a
great time to visit. Ansel and Nancy Newhall were working on a book for the
Sierra Clubs Exhibit Format Series - what was really wonderful that day was that
there were about 200 of his photographs spread all over the house. They were
deciding which would be selected for the book.

MendoRider