[pct-l] Bottoms rain/wind/warm

Nathan Ventura nathanrainer at verizon.net
Sat Dec 25 14:10:56 CST 2010

I'm in the process of getting all my gear together for a 2011 thru
hike. Things are going well but one thing I'm not sure about is what I
should do for wind pants and rain protection below the waist. On the
AT last year all I carried for bottoms were running shorts and 2 pairs
of long underwear I sent home my rain bottoms and long pants after the
Smokies. The only rain gear I had afterwards was a worthless medium
weight rain jacket.
This certainly wasn't optimal but it worked fine for I finished in
August, had overall good weather, and always had dry clothes to sleep
in. I know this system won't cut it on the PCT, and I was hoping to
get some input on what is necessary and optimal for bottoms regarding
wind/rain/warmth. Help me shake my "hike wet and sleep dry" mentality!

I'm considering carrying a Montane Lite Speed H20 For a wind shirt/
rain jacket, but will probably carry a light weight poncho as well.

Are Wind Pants necessary? I've noticed some people don't mention them
in their gear lists while others stress their importance. Do wind
pants supplement as functional rain bottoms vice versa?

I will be carrying some fast drying hiking pants; Is there ever much
need to wear a warmer layer underneath the long pants while hiking?

I have my eye on the Marmot down inner pants, but am considering just
hiking with a pair of rather warm, yet light weight, long underwear
for sleeping, but am not sure if thats enough, especially in the
coldest parts of the trail. Any opinions?

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Nate V