[pct-l] Anyone plan on starting slow?

Kevin hikelite at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 23:26:11 CST 2010

That's my plan, except even slower. The only reason I'll do 10 mile days the first week would be to reach water. If the snow is bad, I'll go even slower. I consider myself reasonably fit, but I want to give my body as much time as possible to leg it adapt to hiking everyday. I know I can do 8-10 mile days, with 40-45 lbs, for several days in a row. I need to let my body get used to doing that every day, and then start raiding the number of daily miles once I feel I no longer mind carrying a pack every day. I honestly don't anticipate hitting a 20 mile daily average for at least 5 weeks. My thought is I should be physically adapted for that around Kennedy Meadows. Just in time to be slowed down by the Sierras. :). I'm trying to reassure myself that living at 7000 ft will help me deal with the altitude, but I know all those weeks down low will negate that benefit. :(

When are you leaving? I'm planning to start on 4/20 (my 40th). Maybe we will start slow together. :)

Misspellings and typos brought to you by iPhone.