[pct-l] New to the pct-l

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 10:03:22 CST 2010

Check out some of the many planning resources online.

I really like Craig's planner. It will help you visualize how far/long you
have to hike between resupplies.
http://www.pctplanner.com/

I'm sure you've already found this site, but it has a lot of planning
information and links to more resources. They can also provide most of the
permits you need. Donate!
http://www.pcta.org/

Halfmile has been extremely generous in creating his website for all of us.
I'm using his maps next year.
http://www.pctmap.net/index.html

Here is the site for Yogi's book that Joe recommended. I don't have one
myself, but I've read her journals. She knows how to hike the PCT, that's
for sure!
http://www.pcthandbook.com/index.php

This another outstanding site to help you plan.
http://planyourhike.com/index.html

This list is a treasure trove of great information, but it can be hard to
find sometimes. Especially if you only subscribed recently. Here is a link
that will let you search the archives.
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=site:mailman.backcountry.net%2Fpipermail%2Fpct-l&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=site:mailman.backcountry.net%2Fpipermail%2Fpct-l&fp=9bef8cda26d1a6ec

If it helps, I'm in Flagstaff. 2011 will be my first through, but I've been
backpacking since the 80s (mom has pictures of me in the Sierras from the
70s, but I was tiny and don't remember if were were backpacking or car
camping). I'm happy to answer any questions if you feel more comfortable
talking to someone "local".

Good luck. I'm starting on April 20, so I'll see you on the trail!