[pct-l] To shocks or not to shocks, that is the question...

Paul Robison paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 28 17:14:39 CST 2010

Like you,  my trekking poles are my tent poles, so i'll take something strong
over light in this instance.  obviously if you have tent poles and just want
some balance and support, then Gossamer Gear makes a nice ligthweight pole...
3.4 ounces a pole  ( under half yours )

i use Black Diamond Ergo Corks and have for a long long time...  i use them
because i am left handed, and at the time they were the only style that did not
have twist locks.   twist locks will come unthreaded with a left handed twist
over time,  thus causing slippage both times i have used Lekis.

if you're right handed then options are limitless for you...  but if you are
using your trekking poles to hold your shelter up i'd be wary of using a 3 or 4
ounce carbon pole to hold that kind of load in a strong wind.

can you lock the shocks before you use it to hold the tent up?   additionally,
consider it might be stronger with the shock because things will bend instead of
break in a big gust.