[pct-l] Worrying about your gear and clothing

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Fri Dec 31 08:32:22 CST 2010

Hard Core-Snappy Reinhold writes: Yes, I agree, $3 is way to much for a shabby old jacket....you must be shopping at the wrong store.  My hiking wardrobe consists of the finest garments available at "Goodwill & St. Vincent De Paul" and at 50 cents per shirt, $1 per shorts and $1.50 per jacket I don't have to be nervous about rolling around in the dirt.  YES SIR,....this kid looks snappy on the trail.....I have to live up to my snappy hard core image I have established with the girls.  Now take Switchback, he spends a fortune on his hiking wardrobe and is the undisputed fashion king on the trail. When he comes prancing down the trail in his Victoria's Secret and fuzzy pink camp slippers he is a real show stopper....I mean he is adorable.  I am so jealous of him.
Switchback replies: Jealous you should be.  Actually, I spend very little on my outstanding hiking wardrobe.  Mostly women friends give me REI gift cards for the holidays and my birthday in January.  It does not take very many seasons to have a great fashion plate inventory of superb color coordinated hiking gear.  To be caught out on the trail with the wrong colors would be highly embarrassing and unacceptable for any hiker.  There are spring, summer, and fall clothing colors for the trail.  I even have a winter wardrobe.  Many a campfire conversation is devoted to color shades, fabric uses, and exciting new combinations for the season.  I am getting all tingly thinking about the 2011 spring fashion hiking season.