[pct-l] Bearikade advice

Frank Dumville fdumville at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 31 13:46:28 CST 2010

What is your longest planned stretch between resupply?

I've used the Wild Ideas Bearikade Weekender on two trips through the Sierra on the PCT with a week or more between resupply.

You don't need to store the first day's food in the can.
If you stay at sites with bear boxes on the first night or two you don't have to put that food in your bear can.
Packing a week's worth of food in a bear can isn't easy. It takes time and experience. Practice before the hike.
Select foods that pack small and need rehydrating.
Repackage food to reduce air and excess packaging.

Snap