[pct-l] Potential Camera on the Hike

Scott Herriott yetifan at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 31 14:17:36 CST 2010

Chris queried:

<Just viewed a documentary about the PCT and I was curious about others who
might have attempted to record their experience on the trail.  Some of the
details that I'm looking for are:

1. What equipment you used>

I used a Sony mini-DV camera for all four of the "Walk" films.  Also used a Canon XL-1S for in-town interviews.  I now use a Canon Vixia HF20 HD camera that has both a SD card slot AND a 32 GB built-in drive.  Love it.  Recommend it.

<2. Approx cost per each item>
At the time, around $500 for the on-trail Sony.  The Canon was, when I bought it in '02, around $3,500.  I got the Vixia for around $900.

<3. Approx weight of each item>
Never actually weighed it...but I'd say the Sony is about 3/4 lb.  The Vixia is about a pound.

<4. Method of charging>
I would carry the fully charged battery that came with the camera along with another fully-charged one that was the biggest available for that camera.  I never ran out of juice before getting back to town.

<5. Any weather considerations (how did you prevent water, ice, heat damage
or was that even a concern)>

I carried a fanny pack which I turned around to the front (dubbed by trail friends as my "codpiece").   I took a Ziploc gallon bag and placed an approx. 6" by 6" piece of thin foam padding with stickum on one side (you can get 'em at a store like Michael's) and placed it (stickum side down, obviously, in the bag).  I had a few times over the five years of shooting where I got condensation warnings on the camera.  Depending on the camera make, this may automatically require you to take it in and get fixed (obviously not a great option whilst hiking)...or it might go away once humidity levels diminish.  I would recommend that as soon as your done shooting something put the camera immediately back in the bag.  Also, if you go with a tape camera (as opposed to an SD card type set-up) try to change tapes in the most relatively dirt-free environment as possible (e.g., in your tent (less particulate matter floating about and no wind).

<6. Any other odds and ends that you can convey>

Unless you have an SD card set-up and/or a built-in hard drive camera I would resist the temptation to look at tape footage you've shot while on the trail.  If it's tape, it might cause tape wrinkling, etc., plus, you're using up more battery power.  Also, it'll be more fun when you get off-trail and witness the hilarity and/or beauty you experienced that ensued that you, to that point, had forgotten about.  :)

Good luck!

Squatch
www.walkpct.com