[pct-l] General Temperature N vs S

jim giblin luckywavingtree at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 12:49:03 CST 2010

I realize there are many variables like start date, but generally could you
assume if you are north bound you are hiking in warmer conditions then if
you’re hiking south bound? Would this be the same between the PCT and AT? For
example; if you were to only have one sleeping system for the whole trip,
I'd assume starting in the North, you would want at least a 30 degree bag.
If you started from the south you could maybe get away with a 40 degree bag.
Of course worse conditions could be taken care of with type of shelter,
clothing, pad, bivy,…  Is this just crazy talk to assume and generalize?

Best,

Jim