[pct-l] Digital Journals - What Device to use

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Thu Feb 4 09:31:05 CST 2010

I have no use for a smartphone, the service cost,  or the 2 year contract.
I just need email while hiking, for a daily email, quasi  journal to friends
and family, and a daily trail conditions report to PCTA,  CDTA, and CDTS
people .
    So it's either my present Pmail or a Peek. For 2,  separate, 1-month
CDT hikes, & WA in Aug to finish the PCT, I'll have to pay  Pmail $105 for 6
mo of service. That makes the Amazon $290 Peak Pronto and  lifetime service a
very good deal. However, the feedback on the Amazon and  Costco sites
points out that the "lifetime" is that of the device; if you lose  or break the
device, you just lost everything; I don't know if they offer  insurance, but
I'll ask them. I'll also ask them about extra batteries. Their  site also
has no "whats in the box" or pics of same.

    Does the Peek have a "flight mode" function? My  concern in switching
from Pmail to a Peek is battery life; 2 lithium AAs have  lasted up to a year
on my Pmail, which I mostly use only during hikes.
    I'm also concerned about the far smaller keyboard.  I can type on my
Pmail while stumbling down the trail.
    There's a lot of negative, but more positive,  feedback on the Costco
and Amazon sites. The negative runs a wide swath  from bad devices to flimsy
devices to bad email service to bad customer service.
    Anyone have further input on the Peek?

Bob  "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen, and...
Naturalized Citizen - Republic  of Texas