[pct-l] Fit for a thru-hike?

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 4 14:06:40 CST 2010

I've written about this before. For whatever reason, there seems to be a bias AGAINST fitness
while not on the trail. (I don't think of training, but fitness...). Backpacking, esp long distance backpacking,
is an intense activity on physical, mental and emotional levels.

Why not at least have a base line fitness level before attempting the hike?

I wrote (ranted? :D) about this:

http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/2009-October/030015.html
http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/2009-October/030029.html

Finally...why do all this fitness? It's just walking..right? And you'll get in shape on the trail..right?

Well, you increase your chances of a successful hike if the first few weeks of the hike aren't a torture fest.

Sure..fit people bomb out of the hike, but that does not mean it is therefore logical to start your hike 40 lbs overweight? ;)

And, I like to be in outdoors whenever I can!

If you are in shape, you can hike, backpack, ski, climb, etc. at your almost, or even at, your optimum fitness level
the entire year.

I love the outdoors too much to be out of shape when not on long hikes. I want to break trail and ski for 15 miles when I can.
I want to climb that trail-less 13er that is approached via a 12 mile (off-trail) backpack.  I just got a call to climb a peak at 3:30 PM this afternoon.
I'm bringing a headlamp and going to be speed hike it because I am in the shape to do it. :)

I want to know that when I get the chance to do a long hike, I can put in the miles how I want to..not what my piss-poor shape forces me
to  hike.

We are outdoors people...shouldn't we be outdoors when we can?[1] :)

[1] If my buddy back East, who has two kids and gets up every day at 4:30 AM for work, can be in the shape he was in boot
camp 20 yrs before...than what excuse do we have????? :D

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/
http://www.facebook.com/pmags