[pct-l] Fit for a thru-hike?

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 4 17:55:39 CST 2010

> Paul, pardon my skepticism, but why is it your goal for everyone to
> successfully complete a thru-hike. Shouldn't it be the hikers responsibility
> to determine what is or isn't in their own best interest. This may or may
> not include finishing the trail.

I don't set up the goal, the individual hiker sets up the goal to be a thru-hiker.  I'm simply trying to help the thru-hiker (who has already decided to hike the entire PCT) to obtain the goal of completing the trail.  If you choose not to be a thru-hiker that is fine, a lot of the information I provide can help out section-hikers.  But my primary goal is to help PCT thru-hikers.  I'm trying to inspire, educate and increase the success rate of thru-hikers.  That is why I wrote the book Pocket PCT and created the website HikeThru.com.

> I personally think one walks a dangerous path to simply include or exclude
> important information solely on the basis of how it might affect ones
> potential to finish a thru-hike. Doesn't your method attempt cram everyone
> into the same small mold? Get in shape, start with the crowd, hike with the
> crowd, do 20 plus mile days, and on and on. If that's your cup of tea, fine.
> If not, there are many paths to The Promise Land. Assuming that completing a
> thru-hike is indeed "The Promise Land".

I never defined a specific start date for a thru-hike, I was just pointing out the trend from last year.  I have no evidence to suggest that this trend will change.  If you want to start early that is fine.  If you want to start later that is fine too.  Just consider the math when planning a hike, the trail is 2655 miles long, starting late means more miles per day.  I know of hikers starting in June and finishing but that isn't normal.

> We all come to the trail with our own baggage of thoughts, fears and life
> practices that we've accumulated over our lifetimes. What makes you think
> your way of approaching a hike is best for everyone? Can be assured you're
> even helping them on the life path they're traveling? What happens if your
> emphatic advice is counterproductive and makes their hike more miserable?

I don't know how getting in shape for a 2655 mile hike can make a hike more miserable.  I'm a bit confused.  Maybe you can explain?

> I've personally been a part of the long distance hiking community for over a
> decade. I've worked on numerous websites, designed lots of gear, given talks
> and demos all to help hikers make their backcountry experiences more
> enjoyable. But never do I tell people that my suggestions are the only way
> or even necessarily the best way.

If you don't want to get in shape that is fine.  But a PCT thru-hike is not a joke and about 60% of hikers failed last year.  Being in good physical condition may help increase your chances of finishing.

> The path of understanding why we hike is lonely, painful, expensive and
> long. But it's a path we alone must travel.
>
> Providing a place where people can learn more about the trail is fine. But
> assuming your goals should somehow be theirs does no one any good in the
> end.

> Fallingwater

Everyone has their own goals.  I'm sorry if I offended you with my goal to increase the success of thru-hikers..

Paul