[pct-l] PCT Cheer

Ernie Castillo erniec01 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 4 20:02:29 CST 2010

About PCT Cheer.

I thought I would post this because of previous discussion threads about trail songs.

I came up with PCT Cheer, if my rusty memory serves me right, after getting back on the trail following trudging several miles along Northern California highways travelled extensively by logging trucks. I don't know about the trail today, but in 1980 there were several sections where hikers shared the road with loggers.

YOHO was a call I had belted out throughout the trail, starting at Campo. If the Grinch could hear all the Whos in Whoville singing from his mountain top, then I figured any nearby PCTers could hear  me as well.

Except when I was drowned out by the logging trucks, of course.

YOHO became the calling card, if you will, of the group known as Revolving Ramen. (Double entender: Revolving Raw Men) Certainly, when I forged ahead of my  hiking buddies, it was a way to tell them all was swell.

I especially enjoyed belting out YOHO in canyons, waiting for an echo replay. I also used it as a test of my pulminary functions after climbs.

When I "re-engineered" myself post-PCT, I used it for a while to warm up for vocal classes until my voice teacher convinced me to switch to something more classical. So Kyrie Elison eventually replaced the octave jump from YO to HO, even though it was with pure tone and full volume.

I discovered this while rummaging through a plastic bag filled with my hand-written journals after my older daughter interviewed me for a school project.

My daughter is still recovering from the shock of seeing her dad with skinny legs, scarcely any meet on his bones, and this huge -- I mean huge -- pack strapped to his back.

Pre-ultra light days of course.

Ernie Castillo
erniec01 at hotmail.com
248 884 5201