[pct-l] Starting Slow

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Feb 4 20:16:28 CST 2010

Starting slow is much better than pushing yourself out the gate. Ease
into it. There's plenty of time to get into trail condition.

However, easing into it is hard to do on the PCT because of water.
It's usually about 20 miles apart. So you end up going about 20 miles
a day pretty early on.

Still, you can spend the first few days easing into it. My first few
days were thus:
Day 1: 9 miles (camped well before Hauser Canyon.)
Day 2: 10 miles
Day 3: 13 miles
Then I think I did about 15 miles or so per day to Warner Springs.

Most people waste time not on easing into the hike but on zero days.

Diane