[pct-l] Starting Slow

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 00:02:06 CST 2010

Joan the only issue is that unlike the AT you may have to carry 3 to 4 days
of water if you start out with 3, 5, 7, then 10 miles.

There are several long stretches without much water right off the bat on the
PCT - unless you get a wet year of course.  If this is a dry year, you may
find it becomes difficult to do low mileages because you can't carry the
water needed to go that slow.  The heat of So Cal will also increase your
water usage.  I live in So. Arizona so I am very used to the dry climate.  I
was surprised how many people were surprised how much water they needed to
drink - as they were coming from wetter climates and there bodies had not
adjusted to the arid conditions yet - it can take a week or two.

Best of luck.  Enjoy the journey - It is truly amazing!

Day-Late  (AT'07, PCT '09 - and hoping to do them both again when I can)