[pct-l] planning question

Deep Desert Expeditions mike at deepdesert.com
Fri Feb 5 18:52:35 CST 2010

OK, so I've planned several long thru hikes in the past, but they've all been in the desert on mostly cross country routes/off trail routes where I had to really plan every day's activities--where to camp, where to get water, where to stash food/water caches, etc.

Obviously, there's a lot of info available to me out there about the PCT.
I'm planning a thru hike this year, and I'm wondering--how specific or general do folks out there plan their logistics?

I'm so used to the step-by-step research that I find myself doing that here, but I'm thinking 2650 miles is too much.

Do most find that they can get away with planning, say, "six days from campo the warner springs" and then just set your pace accordingly and watch the water sources, or do folks plan, say, "night one at lake morena, night two at morris meadow, night three....."

and resupplies--I'm probably mixing up the trip with a combo of mail drops and simply buying on the way; does anyone have posted anywhere where you can get bulk food on the trail?  or am I dreaming?  I have some weird dietary needs--no nuts, so standard "trail mix" is out of the question, and because of a recent cardiac issue, I need to stay low salt, low cholesterol (so quinoa and things like corn pasta are really good for me)--will I be able to find these on the trail?

thanks

Moab Mike