[pct-l] Washington re-route(s)

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Feb 5 19:26:11 CST 2010

Yeah, and I agonized over it for weeks. Should I take the detour?
Should I stay on the PCT and risk killing myself in Mild Creek and
Suiattle River? The pictures of trail damage and people butt-scooting
across the log that I found on the web gave me the willies.

Everyone coming southbound said stick to the PCT, stick to the PCT.
PCT MOM said you'll get lost on the detour, don't do it. The
Skykomish ranger lady said no, no, take the detour. I couldn't make
up my mind until the very last minute, standing at the trail where I
would have to make my final choice.

I'm so glad I stayed on the trail. Not only was it beautiful, but I
thought climbing through the huge fallen trees was fun. The day I
walked calmly upright over the Suiattle River was the best day of my
life. I never felt such a feeling of accomplishment. I'm the biggest
creek crossing wuss you ever met.

I'm glad there wasn't any snow for me. It was the height of summer,
the last weeks of August for me.

Diane