[pct-l] JMT Hike

Ellen Shopes igellen at comcast.net
Fri Feb 5 19:58:00 CST 2010

The permit you obtain (from Lone Pine at the southern terminus, or Yosemite
at the northern terminus) covers the entire JMT hike.  No other permits are
needed.  Keep in mind if you plan detours that various agencies can get
testy about you being 'off itinerary'.
This has happened to me twice.  Last year, while we were detouring to upper
Lyell via Tuolomne Pass, a Ranger threated us with a ticket for being off
itinerary.  We backtracked to Lyell, and had no other problems.
The second time, when I inquired about resupplying at Cedar Grove, Kings
Canyon, the Ranger Station told me that if I hiked out to resupply and spent
the night, that my permit would be invalid.  We ended up resupplying there,
not spending the night, and had no negative encounters with Rangers.
We also went off itinerary at Kearsarge to resupply at Onion Valley once,
and were not hassled by the Rangers.
Ellen