[pct-l] tide, planning, rangers, comments

Frank Dumville fdumville at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 6 12:02:02 CST 2010

Moab Mike asked,

> How about camping with that many folks?  How's that usually play out?

Don't worry about it. I can think of only one time when I had to move on because of a crowd. I just moved on to a nicer dry camp. A lot will depend on whether you want to be with the crowd or not. The crowds gather at water sources in SoCal. If you're prepared to dry camp you can find solitude.

> And then the Rangers--I keep seeing references to rangers giving hikers what seems to be a hard time; fire permits, going off itinerary; do they have something against backpackers?  or are there a few who've pushed things and now the rangers are checking everyone about everything?

I didn't see too many rangers and always had good interactions with the one's I encountered. I carried a through hiker and fire permit, had a bear can where recommended, any generally followed regulations so they had no reason to give me a hard time. Often they would recognize me as a long distance hiker and not even ask to see a permit. I never had any problems taking alternates routes or going off trail for resupply.

Snap