[pct-l] Aqua Mira water purifier tablets

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Sat Feb 6 12:45:50 CST 2010

JJ et al.,

I used Micropur tablets for part of my treatment in '06 on the AT (Iodine tabs for part also).  Micropur, and I believe Aqua Mira, uses chlorine dioxide as the treatment ingredient.

I talked with the Micropur rep at Trail Days last year and learned a good bit about ClO2 tabs.  Most importantly, the reason the recommended treatment time is 4 hours is due to EPA regs.  To qualify for EPA registration, the product (in this case Micropur tabs) is independently tested.  For water that is cold and turbid, maximum treatment time to effectively kill 99.99 % of the microorganisms is 4 hours.  Cold is 4* C (about 39*F), and turbi d is so cloudy that when your arm is immersed to the elbow, you can't see your fingers.  For clear water at 20*F, effective treatment time is 30 minutes.  However, Micropur can't advertise that time without losing its EPA certification.  I was not able to get him to provide me a graph of recommended treatment times at various combinations of turbidity and temp.  I don't even know if such exists, at least one that non-company folks can see.

I like the convenience of the tabs over the two-part Aqua Mira liquid treatment.  However, the cost of using tabs is much higher than the AM solutions, as has been mentioned.  I have been trying to find the tabs at a cheapper bulk rate but have not been very successful so far.  The best price I have found is about $0.27 per tab.  One tab is said to treat one (1) liter.

Hope this helps.

Mango