[pct-l] Tarptent Contrail problem

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Sat Feb 6 23:29:37 CST 2010

Last Thursday afternoon, I at last took my Tarptent Contrail outside to
try it in the gusty wind and showers. I hadn't set it up in over a year
and then only a couple of times so I am still a newby with it.

While the temp only about 55, the wind was gusting to maybe 30mph which
added some realism to setting up the tent on the trail when I *needed*
it. Had difficulties. I need more practice!

But again even though I was being careful, when I went to stake out the
last corner, in front, the wind gusted, my trekking pole slipped out of
the grommet, and before I could adjust, the pole punched thru the tent
near the peak. So then I turn the pole so the handle was up and watch
the tent billow in the wind.  The wind direction shifted back and forth
so my tent caught the wind from the rear and both sides. Sides billowed
in a fair amount in the wind.

The next day I it up with the rubber tip (like a crutch tip) on and the
wind was less so I had no problem with the pole slipping out.

Do others have this problem?  Or what is the trick to pitching the tent
without the trekking pole slipping out?

--

Tortoise

Because truth matters"