[pct-l] Ice Traction on the cheap

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Sun Feb 7 11:56:29 CST 2010

> ...took 1/4 inch long sheet Metal screws and threaded them into his trail runners so that the hex heads provided a "bite".
> Just wondering if this is common...

The following link has appeared many times on pct-l...
<http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm>
Common?  Don't know about on trail, but many folks here in central PA use them for walking/jogging...
Most important placement for me for icy roads/sidewalks is at the very back of the heel and front of the toe -
gets rid of those annoying little slips...
I've found 3/8" length works best for me and my shoes - 1/2" seems too long and 1/4" comes out too easily...
If shoe tread is well worn down, 1/4" might be better - at least on the front...

What I will take/use on-trail (nothing/screws/micro-spikes/instep crampons) will depend on anticipated conditions - but some screws and small driver would be low volume an not too much weight...

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)

Support the Pacific Crest Trail Association and its mission:
Protect, preserve, and promote the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail...
Join, renew, or donate today: <http://www.pcta.org/>

"If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way." - Napoleon Hill