[pct-l] Fwd: Ice Traction on the cheap

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Feb 7 12:37:22 CST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: CHUCK CHELIN <steeleye at wildblue.net>
Date: Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 10:32 AM
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Ice Traction on the cheap
To: Paul Mitchell <bluebrain at bluebrain.ca>

Good morning, '178,

I install the screws whenever it looks like there will be a slick, smooth
surface, such as ice, wet logs, rocks when wading, etc.  I receive the
screws and driver at Kennedy Meadows, and usually “screw-up” before the
first big pass.  As soon as the trail is mostly clear – usually before Echo
Summit – I’ll remove any that remain.

The screws do get lost over time; that’s why I carry a few dozen extras.  The
greatest loss is when people shuffle their feet over rock.  If the old hole
seems tight I will reinstall another screw in that same hole.  If the old
hole looks wallowed-out I’ll move the screw to a new location close by.  ½”
screws work well for me, particularly since I have an additional 1/8” of
margin from my SuperFeet inserts.

Having holes in one’s shoe soles isn’t a problem.  In fact, I’ve been known
to drill holes in the soles of winter hiking sneakers to allow the
inevitable water to drain out.

Shoe screws are much like studs in winter tires.  When the going gets tough
they won’t substitute for aggressive lugs, or chains, but when a hard
surface is slick they are great.

The best attribute of shoe screws is they are really cheap and easy to use.
If you try them at home just be careful to stay on the carpeting in the
house.  They can do wonderful damage to hard floors, and they can scratch
ceramic tile.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye