[pct-l] MREs?

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 7 14:11:49 CST 2010

Yikes?  Emergency maybe?
$6.50 a meal?  You can get a good can of chili for a lot less than that and probably have more fun farting yourself to sleep.   But what to do with the can?
I like to pack a lot of bulk stuff for my meals.  Cereal mixes, dried milk, dried fruits, brown sugar all in baggies so I can make what I feel like, and a lot less packaging along the way.  For lunches same thing, and dinner or supper meals I have a bag of pasta, quinoa elbows, rice, dried beans, and stuff like that, a couple bags of dried veggies, or freeze dried for longevity, a spice flavor soup base and olive oil bag that contains garlic and or garlic salt, soup base, red pepper, perhaps some basil, chili powder and so forth.  For main meals this seems to work pretty good for stuff four days or longer, and I eat good.  Last couple years I've been eating breakfast a little farther along into the day about ten in the morning and then having two smaller lunches of peanut butter or whatever to keep me going into the afternoon.  And a lot of snacks, anything I can fit and carry.  A guy's got to eat, but this approach has been working for me for a long time and up to ten plus days' of food.
Delicious is a very subjective term.  When I was a little kid my friend up the street bragged what a great cook his mom was, but when I finally went over for dinner I didn't like what she made.  But you know you are in trouble when you get a craving for pizza and a ice cold pepsi right out of a trailhead, which has happened to me a couple times.  That's when it's good to have a pizza wrapped up and handy on the top of your pack !!!  Pizza for lunch on Kearsarge Pass is a wonderful thing!