[pct-l] aquamira?

Steve McAllister brooklynkayak at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 11:21:14 CST 2010

Regarding Aquamira drops, this is how I understand it, I may have some
points wrong:

After the mix is added to water, it gradually turns into chlorine
dioxide gas. This gas is what kills the bad stuff in the water. This
is similar to chlorine drops except that chlorine dioxide doesn't
taste as bad and dissipates faster if the container is left open after
treatment.

Both chlorine and chlorine dioxide do not hang around in your body and
do not build up over time. Iodine does, so experts say that if you are
going to be treating all or most of your drinking water over a long
period of time, iodine can be bad for you.

I often run my treated water through a Frontier Pro 2 filter after 30
or so minutes after treatment. I usually do this if the water would
have some undesirable taste from a not so good water source. I find
the carbon in the filter seems to absorb most of the chlorine dioxide
and it can't be tasted.
I've heard that carbon will absorb chlorine and iodine as well.
So maybe some cheap lightweight Britta type filter could help?

--
If you look good and dress well, you don't need a purpose in life.
                -- Robert Pante, fashion consultant