[pct-l] tide, planning, rangers, comments

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Mon Feb 8 11:44:27 CST 2010

I've only had one negative experience as a section hiker, exiting at Whitney
Portal ahead of schedule on a section permit, not a thru permit. The ranger
was on a power trip. She looked at my permit and me a long time, then told
me to wait while she finished some other business. 15 minutes later I was
grilled about where I camped each night, trail conditions, etc. She finally
called another ranger over, went through it all again, then decided I was ok
and let me go (sadly now too late for a burger at the Whitney Portal Store -
they're great!). Turns out between my ultralight pack and that I had been
doing 20 mile days, she thought I was day hiking Whitney on an easier-to-get
permit from a distant trailhead.

Otherwise, I have had great experiences with rangers, except listening to a
couple of them complain about other thrus that don't follow the rules.

AsABat