[pct-l] Recommended Backpack Size

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Mon Feb 8 12:21:44 CST 2010

Jeff,

Assuming a normal pace, you need to be able to go for at least 7 days without resupply along some places of the PCT.  Though not required, some like to go all the way from Kennedy Meadows to Vermillion Valley Resort (VVR) in the High Sierra without resupply which can take up to 12days (assuming you take the side trip to summit Mt. Whitney) and you have to carry a bear can.

If your existing pack with your gear can only go for 4days, then you need a larger pack.  But you have 2 years to try to reduce your gear size so I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace it yet.  A backpack should be the last piece of gear you purchase since it needs to carry all the other gear.  Many hikers such as myself would find your existing pack more then large enough for the PCT, but our gear choices are all different.

-Miner