[pct-l] Rangers

shelly skye shelbel26 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 17:47:53 CST 2010

Just a small point of information. National Park  rangers come in two general categories. LE, or law enforcement and the other type, those that aren't LE but may have lots of other duties. Often they are the Interpreters  we all see in the front country or work in the VIsiter Services areas of National Parks or other monuments, etc. All State Park Rangers in California are LE though there are a few (not too many left) people who are interpreters or archeologists, etc. Unfortunately, the newest variety  of LE rangers (front country) are no longer the Rangers we grew up learning about... not Ranger Rick anymore. They are definitely Police first, Rangers second. I believe that currently backcountry rangers in the National Parks are LE but they often keep their guns packed away as they really are the Ranger Rick (or Sue) types and don't like the LE aspect of their jobs. I believe that National Forest rangers do not have LE designation though they are qualified to give tickets for some kinds of infractions. This is my understanding but if someone knows otherwise feel free to clarify/correct.