[pct-l] PCT in the Los Angeles National Forest

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon Feb 8 21:20:03 CST 2010

Joel,

There is an "official" alternate right now, unfortunately it includes a very
long (45+ mile) road walk. It is doable, however (Sage did it this fall),
and there is some great trail angel support blossoming along this route.
Better alternatives are actively being researched and proposed. It is
difficult to give an official alternative at the present time, as unknown
amounts of damage will be sustained this winter.  It has been forecast to be
a heavy rain year for us, and we often get most of our precipitation in
March and April. So, from what I'd heard early on, "they" (US Forest
Service) were going to wait to see what condition alternate trails are in
before making any premature announcement.

Keep your eye on the Sierra snow, and stay tuned.

L-Rod