[pct-l] Trail recommendations

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 22:11:51 CST 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 7:14 PM, Sean 'Miner' Nordeen
<sean at lifesadventures.net> wrote:
> "My daughter and I are planning a 7-10 day stretch of PCT to explore and would like some recommendations between Portland and Yosemite.  We have explored the INYO and Yosemite park, several trips on the John Muir, and would like to head north a bit into northern cali/southern oregon.  Any advice from seasoned hikers would be appreciated. 10miles/day is what we will average."
>

> If you had more time, I'd recommend the 150miles from Tuolumne Meadows to Echo Summit by Lake Tahoe since you can get public transportation to Yosemite and from S. Lake Tahoe.  Another idea would be from Burney Falls S.P. to Castle Crags at the I-5 (about 85miles) as you can use the Amtrak to go to Redding and take a local bus up to Burney.  You can catch the Amtrack in Dunsmuir off the I-5 when you are done.

If you can work out the getting to/from part, Sonora Pass to Echo
Summit would get my vote.  Perhaps start (or end) with an out-and-back
for a few miles on the south side of the pass, as I think the views
(lots of multi-colored stuff, both near and far) are much better than
on the north side. (There is a weird wind pattern up there that is
constantly shifting - blows warm from one direction, then cold from
another.  In the space of seconds.)   For the rest of the hike, I'd
want to be there during prime bloom season.  The flowers are stunning.
 Hopefully your timing can be flexible, the Carson Pass visitors
center (see link below for phone number) should be able to tell you
when the bloom is hitting.

http://www.alpinecounty.com/recreation/permits.php