[pct-l] Start Date

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Feb 10 12:50:57 CST 2010

Good morning, Dave,

Starting at Tuolumne Meadows could be a good option but as an experienced
walker with four months, you probably could start at the south end of the
Sierras and continue to Manning.

The best pre-hike travel that I know would be by air to Reno, NV, then by
taking the regional bus south along the east slope of the Sierras to begin
hiking from any major access point as far south as Lone Pine.  From Lone
Pine one can hitch up to Horseshoe Meadow, and then take the short approach
hike to the PCT at Trail Pass.  At that point begins the best part of the
Sierras.

http://easternsierratransitauthority.com/wb/pages/bus-routes/crest-north-lone-pine-reno.php

Starting further south – such as from Kennedy Meadows – is a rather
difficult travel problem, and the additional fifty miles of trail probably
aren’t worth the aggravation of getting to Kennedy Meadows.

The first of June is a bit early to start into the south Sierras,
particularly in an average -- or more -- snow year, but starting at Tuolumne
would be worse.  The first of June from Tuolumne would involve fewer high
Sierra miles, but there would be much more snow and many fewer early-hiker
tracks to help with navigation.

When starting from any of the Sierra trailheads be mindful that the
elevation will be around 10,000 elevation -- or very soon to ascent to that
elevation.  That can really kick the butt of a walker accustomed to training
at average lower elevations.  The first week should not have an aggressive
mileage expectation.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye