[pct-l] trail closure status -- San Bernardino Sheep Fire Closure

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Wed Feb 10 16:42:02 CST 2010

This is the 45+ mile road walk that I've been referring to in previous
posts.  I state for the record that I personally believe HIGHWAY 138 IS
UNSAFE TO WALK UPON -- it is tantamount to walking along a freeway.  Hikers
Jane and Flicka were killed along this road.  There are other, safer, roads
that are less travelled, and certainly travelled at more reasonable speeds,
that would get a hiker around the closures.

I have been told that official alternatives are being sought. We all have to
be cognizant and patient that no alternatives can be declared until the
storm season is over, the trails have been reconned, and any necessary
repairs made to allow safe passage.

L-Rod