[pct-l] trail closure status -- San Bernardino Sheep Fire Closure

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Feb 10 17:05:49 CST 2010

On Feb 10, 2010, at 2:42 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> OK, help me understand.  Will it be evident when I get here on the
> PCT that
> the trail is closed and what I'm supposed to do?
>
> Bag Lady

In my personal experience the answer is that usually it will be
evident the trail is closed and there will be precious little telling
you what to do.

What I suggest you do is to write notes in your data book or whatever
you are using. Mark it in there in the row where that location is
listed in the data book. Keep an eye on this list for when someone
(probably L-Rod) says what the official suggested detour is, and then
write the complete instructions in your data book next to your note.

I did this with all important details such as road closures, fire
closures, alternate routes I didn't want to miss and also with the
water report. I wrote it all in my data book in pencil and that way I
never lost the instructions.

I was able to go along my merry way without having to remember what
was closed where, and as information became available (the grapevine
news travels fast on the trail) I was able to erase and add new
instructions.