[pct-l] Smart Phone Advice (Re: Colter)

Jeff Perkins jeffperkins at u.boisestate.edu
Fri Feb 12 13:32:12 CST 2010

Colter-

First, Halfmile has compiled an excellent review of cell signal and wifi
hotspots along the trail, and that link is here:
http://www.pctmap.net/cell/index.html (summary: for the most part, Verizon
wins).
Next, if you're serious about a long hike on the PCT, you'll need to just
plan to be out of touch most of the time, and when you are in cell range,
don't expect data connectivity.
Onto phone: most are getting excellent battery life nowadays -- assuming you
don't have your phone on while on the trail.  Only turn it on when you need
to, otherwise it will constantly be looking for a cell signal and data
connection, which rapidly drains the battery. And even when you are in an
area where you are making calls, consider turning off data, wifi, and GPS
(if the phone is equipped with it) to save power.  If you're really power
starved, you can buy (or build) a light-weight solar battery charger. It
doesn't instantly charge a battery/phone, but if you strap it to the top of
your pack, it will get at least 8 hours of sun -- plenty to build up a
decent charge.
Look at prepaid plans if you're only looking to use it on trail -- you only
pay for the days you use it, which is more economical if you're out in the
wilderness most of the time.
In regards to the "frantic 30 minutes," consider sending one bulk email,
keep a hand-written journal (you know, like... analog) and mail it back to a
friend who can scan and post it online, setup auto-pay on all of your bills,
and as far as business, if you're that busy, perhaps it's not the right time
for a long hike.

--

I've never owned or used a smartphone, so I'm hoping those of you that have
> some experience and knowledge can offer me some direction. Here's my
> priorities:

1. Internet/email: I want to access the internet more often and more easily
> and avoid those frantic 30 minutes of computer access in libraries while I
> try to email everyone, update my journal, pay my credit cards, troubleshoot
> business issues, etc.

2. Phone

3. An appropriate service plan/contract: I plan to only use my smartphone
> while on the PCT, so I want a contract/plan that won't cost me a bundle or
> require a long contract.

4. Good battery life.

5. Camera, GPS, etc. aren't nearly as important to me, but would be a plus.

I've read Gadget's excellent advice. What's the latest on current plans and
> phones to fit the above?

Thanks in advance!

Colter

--