[pct-l] PCT Smartphone advice requested

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 15:08:04 CST 2010

Hi Colter.  I don't try to keep up with the frequent changes in what's
available, but I still do think AT&T or Verizon might be the best carrier
choice --- whether directly or via a pay-as-you-go plan (a la Tracphone) the
uses the appropriate service.   From reading more in prepping for the
Appalachian Trail I might give the nod to Verizon, assuming you don't want
to travel overseas with your phone.
One interesting option I heard about recently was to buy a recent model used
smartphone via eBay or the like, and then activate it via a pay-as-you-go
plan.   I know for a fact that both AT&T and Verizon offer pay-as-you-go (no
contract) plans.  I have one with AT&T, my wife has one with Verizon.   With
AT&T, at least, you can get data (internet) with that, 100 MB per month for
$20 (expires, must be renewed each month on the trail).

There are a lot of smartphone-related blogs (tens or maybe hundreds of them
...).  Some you might have a look at include
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/
http://mobile.engadget.com/
http://winmo.coolsmartphone.com/index.php
http://www.intomobile.com/

What I've not found is a blog that distinguishes the types of features that
a backpacker might find most important; if there is such a beast, I hope
someone will point it out to the rest of us (!).

The last link above does have per-carrier information, so for AT&T and
Verizon the links are:
http://www.intomobile.com/category/carriers/att/
http://www.intomobile.com/category/carriers/verizon/

But that stuff is more focused on "what's coming soon", and you probably
should be more focused on "what's come out reasonably recently for which
there are good objective reviews".

Per my "guide", http://postholer.com/smartPhone.html I suggest that you look
at the smartphones that Verizon or AT&T offer as part of a contract deal via
their websites.   There typically aren't all THAT many.  Web search for
specs on these phones where specs on the carriers site don't already help
you eliminate some (i.e., inadequate camera maybe, no built-in GPS, no
removeable battery, etc).

And then please, please post your conclusions here so that others can
benefit from your research!  Periodically I see people asking this question
but then no follow-up.   Particularly useful IMO would be more than just "I
got this phone, it's the greatest one because it's the one that I bought
...", but rather "After narrowing it down to these (specific please) three,
I chose this one because of factors X, Y, and Z".

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle