[pct-l] hiking boots

Erik The Black erik at eriktheblack.com
Fri Feb 12 17:38:52 CST 2010

A good "transition" shoe from boots is the Merrel Moab Ventilator Mid (which
is essentially a boot version of the shoe of the same name). I've hiked many
thousands of miles in the Merrel Moabs (the low-top version) and plan on
hiking in them again this year.

They are great shoes and they are pretty tough compared to some of the
lighter weight trail runners. I've found they only need to be replaced every
800-1,000 miles (because the sole wears out). They are also available in
wide sizes for those of us who have flattened our feet into flippers from
too much backpacking.

Merrel Moab Ventilators:
http://www.rei.com/product/748510

Merrel Moab Goretex XCR (same but waterproof)
http://www.rei.com/product/788740

Happy trails,
Erik the Black

Check out my new Blog: