[pct-l] trail clothing

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Feb 13 23:53:29 CST 2010

I have a 1lb 20 degree quilt. I've used it into the 20s, staying warm
even with frozen water bottles next to me.

Instead of long johns, I slept in my clothes and balaclava. I had
long underwear to sleep in and changed into it every night until one
night when I was too tired I just fell asleep in my clothes. When it
turned out I slept just as well, I ditched the long underwear and
never looked back. Whenever I was a little chilly, I either wore or
draped my jacket over me under my quilt like an extra blanket.
Sometimes, when my pants were wet, I wore my jacket like a skirt. I
was toasty and happy.

I left my house with 11lbs of gear. It was pre-tested in colder
conditions than the PCT, and also pre-tested on the PCT itself since
I did the trail in two long sections. It served me well.

Diane