[pct-l] trail clothing

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Feb 14 09:27:11 CST 2010

Since I was in Washington in August, I suppose it wasn't as cold as
when most thru-hikers are there. My knees did not get cold. I wore
shorts under my chaps (zipped off the legs and saved them for bed
time). The silnylon of my chaps felt like just being wet when it was
against my skin.

What I objected to most about the rain was having wet plants whap me
right in the face and feeling like I was drowning or wading though an
ocean of wet plants. Everybody says Section O is overgrown.
Washington is like Section O on steroids. Especially that section
that nobody likes between White Pass and Snoqualmie Pass. Nobody
loves it so nobody gives it any love.

I don't know that I would try cycling or stretchy pants. That would
be just one more thing to bring. You'd have to know when to you'll
need them. It seemed to me that the kind of fabric Ex-officio pants
are made of dries quickly enough.

Everybody I met in Washington kept telling me the weather report was
for one more day of rain, then clearing afterwards. I kept believing
them. It seems that Washingtonians have a funny idea of what clear
skies means. It seems to mean that there's a little hole in the
clouds where you can see a little patch of blue. It might be raining
on top of you, but to them, that's clear and sunny. I hope this helps
with planning, especially for those of us from Southern California
where 20% chance of rain means it's not going to rain, the weatherman
is just hoping to have something new to say for a change.