[pct-l] rangers

Josh 559josh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 00:57:07 CST 2010

I've been asked ABOUT a bear canister several times in central Cali...never
been asked to show it to anyone or anything like that (maybe cuz its shape
was easily seen bulging my pack)...I was asked a few times in Yosemite "what
kind of canister or what model canister do you have" because there were
model changes as to which were 'legal' or whatever and maybe their logic was
"if they know the model right off, they're already familiar with the rules"
or something like that.

I've run into rangers with a 'tude more than once, but usually it's more
like "hi..." and the usual chit-chat about the trail each of us has come
from or upcoming weather systems or whatever...and something like: "Do U
have a permit"..."yes, do U wanna see it"..."no, that's ok". And that's
that.  I don't suspect that anyone who's done the planning to do a 2600mi
hike (or even a significant section of it) will have any real problems with
any rangers or anything like that.

I have wondered about one thing though:
I often spend a night or two in-town were I resupply.  My understanding is
that TECHNICALLY, this voids a permit since a night was spent off the trail.
I'm pretty sure that there's no way a ranger or anyone else for that matter
could prove that (unless he just happened to share the hotel U were staying
in and wanted to make an issue out of it).  But, am I correct in the
'legality' of my understanding of the permit and overnight stays off trail?

Josh