[pct-l] Packs.....UL Internals vs Externals

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Tue Feb 9 08:10:17 CST 2010

Reddirt2 wrote: I think you might find aluminum is lighter and a heck of a lot less expensive to build with.  On Feb 7, 2010, at 10:01 PM, Monte Dodge wrote:  I picked up old old " Alpine Designs" external frame mid 70's pack on ebay last week... Frame is made of a type of PVC,, ( I think ?? ) but quite light and seems fairly strong, though not in the same class as an old Kelty.. What I would like to see after hanging with dogsled mushers who are now using " Titanium " in their sleds, is for Kelty, Jansport and a few others to start making their old external  frame packs but with Titanium frames... They would be so strong and light!!
Switchback replies: Forget all this gear and titanium pack stuff.  The lightest way to hike the PCT is to have full horse, lama, hiker support and don't carry anything.  You might even have some folks carry you on a litter along the trail.  This is what I am going to do when I do my big 2014 thru-hike.  No problem.  I am going to have someone fan me with a big palm leaf as I am carried.  Now you might think everyone will make fun of me, but see what they think after 200 trail miles.