[pct-l] Peanut Butter

nosirreeb nosirreeb at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 16 13:08:12 CST 2010

I found this article listing shelf life of various foods published at Kansas State University in 2006:

http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/library/fntr2/L806.PDF

On page 4, it says that opened PB has a shelf life of 2-3 months at 70 degrees F (longer if refrigerated) while unopened has a shelf life of 8-9 months. So, I'm thinking that it is fine to carry an opened container while hiking, even if the  unopened container sat in your resupply box for a few weeks.

I'm considering grinding my own, or buying fresh ground, vacuum sealing it in 16 oz batches, and keeping refrigerated (frozen?) until shipping; might mix in a little honey, salt, or other nuts, as well.