[pct-l] Feet Swelling

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Feb 16 17:12:29 CST 2010

I have never understood this phenomenon.

My feet never swelled on either the PCT or CDT. Iceaxe mentions that it
might be due to the heat of SoCal at the start out of Campo. I started
mid-March when it wasn't hot and still raining, so I guess I missed the
influence. Even when I hiked through Lancaster and Mojave mid-April, it
wasn't so hot that my feet grew or even got a blister (especially up Jawbone
Canyon; what a hot day!).

Was it because I only chose a boot that was 1/2 to 1 whole size bigger than
my foot (for sock room), I hiked in leather boots that didn't stretch but
breathed well, or never had a problem with sweat, sand, and grit that would
lead to blisters?

Why do hikers feet get so big? It's not because they carry a lot of weight.
Why are aspiring hikers told to buy shoes that are so much larger than their
feet? Yes, feet swell, but do we need to let them swell out to the limits of
the shoe? Does an over-large shoe contribute to blisters and the other foot
maladies that trouble thru hikers?

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.