[pct-l] Feet Swelling

linsey mowoggirl at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 16 17:22:15 CST 2010

Joan wrote...
".....I had heard from many people that you should buy a size bigger for
desert hiking.....I did not find them comfortable at all.
They felt like big clumsy blocks on my feet.....I would be interested to
hear any thoughts on this issue."

Last year, if my pre-hike purchased shoes seemed too big I had great success adding an extra insole or volume adjuster.  With one pair I used three--the factory insole, my custom orthotic, and an Inov-8 volume adjuster (flat, not contoured insole).  This took up excess volume and gave my feet extra padding while allowing me to wear thin nylon dress socks...the tip came from Yogi's Planning Guide and worked very well for me.