[pct-l] Dehydrated v freezedried

dicentra dicentragirl at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 17 14:26:29 CST 2010

Neat idea! I think I'm going to put this on my blog as well. :)

Freeze dried:
Can be expensive, especially if buying in large quantities.
may disinegrate upon rehydration
meats rehydrate better than dehydrated
cannot do at home
sometimes hard to find in stores
sometimes limited choices (unless looking online etc)
very little work required if buying whole meals

Dehydrated
can do at home - dehydrator or oven
can take advantage of clearance sales, freebies or discarded fruit/vegetables (I often get veggies for free that the farm stand cannot sell because they are beyond their prime - or home grown fruit) Free food!
ingredients may not rehydrate well - especially corn, green beans
possibilities are endless - dried artichokes, kiwi chips anyone?
can dry dinner leftovers or restuaunt take out for trail meals
a lot of choices available if you do not want to dry things yourself
can make large batches of meals in a relatively small amount of time
can make unusual ingredients (bamboo rice, quinoa, millet, split peas, lentils...) "instant" by pre-cooking then drying

I use a combination of freeze dried ingredients (beef, corn, green beans, peas) and home dried (chicken, rice, vegetables, fruits) as well as some store bought items (potato slices, sun dried tomatoes, coconut creme powder, peanut sauce powder...).

It all just depends on how much effort, time and money you want to put into what you are making.

I'm looking forward to reading what others have to say on the subject. :)

~Dicentra

http://www.onepanwonders.com ~ Backcountry Cooking at its Finest
http://www.freewebs.com/dicentra