[pct-l] Hand Cycling Along the PCT

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 18 19:54:59 CST 2010

Pieces wrote:

My recollection is that the stretch along Crater Lake might be doable,
possibly with some excursions onto the highway that is very close to the
trail if there are problem areas.

Nope, based on my (admittedly fuzzy) memory from last summer, the trail
along the Crater Lake rim is actually some of the least accessible trail in
that whole area.  Sections of it are really quite steep and rocky.

However, the trail from the north rim down to highway 138 and back up to Mt.
Theilsen seemed to be very wide and even.  Of course a lot of it was also
deadly boring, especially from the rim to the highway.  That seems to be the
theme here - the sections of the trail that might be doable in a hand cycle
are doable precisely because they're miserable from a "scenic trail"
standpoint.

All in all, I imagine that quite a few sections of the PCT would be doable
on a hand cycle if you're willing to be very slow and patient about it, and
have a crew standing by to help navigate over/around obstacles.  'Cause
there *will* be obstacles . . .

Eric